reb•e•lu•tion (reb’el lu shen) n. a teenage rebellion against the low expectations of an ungodly culture.

7/25/2006

Abraham Cherrix: The Sean Hannity Show

Around 4:30 PM (EST) this afternoon, Abraham Cherrix and his father joined talk show radio host Sean Hannity on the Sean Hannity Show. Below are some excerpts from the 10-minute segment. Abraham is scheduled to appear on FOX's Hannity and Colmes this evening. The show starts at 9 PM (EST).
Throughout the interview Mr. Hannity made it clear that, while he would most likely go with conventional treatment if he were in Abraham's place, he still admired, respected, and supported Abraham in his fight for alternative treatment. At the beginning of the segment, however, the conversation focused primarily on the details of today's decision.
HANNITY: [Y]ou got a new decision that came out just earlier today.

ABRAHAM: Yes, we did. We got a very surprising decision and it was very good.

HANNITY: And that is that you do not have to report to this Norfolk hospital for treatment today.

ABRAHAM: That's correct. As a matter of fact, the judge says that social services no longer have partial custody of me and that I do not have to report to the hospital, our stay has been accepted, and that basically, any court information from the previous hearings are now gone and we're starting anew in the Circuit Court with Judge Tyler.
There has been some question as to what issue the Circuit Court was being asked to rule on. Mr. Cherrix answered this question on the show:
MR. CHERRIX: [W]hat it amounts to is that the judge said that this actually isn't a juvenile issue here, what it is is it's an adult issue and they're going to determine whether or not Abraham's parents, me and Rose, are guilty or not guilty of medical neglect.
At one point, Mr. Hannity asked Abraham a question that many people have probably wondered: Does he think about the possibility of dying because of his decision to pursue alternative treatment?
HANNITY: Abraham, let me ask you a very tough question. I've come to be very impressed with you and your knowledge of your disease, your knowledge of your situation, your seeking alternative remedies, I think it's really admirable.

ABRAHAM: Thank you.

HANNITY: But at the end of the day if you make a wrong decision it could result in your life.

ABRAHAM: Yes.

HANNITY: Do you think about that?

ABRAHAM: Well, I really can't think about that, you know?

HANNITY: But don't you have to?

ABRAHAM: Well, there's always that possibility and, yes, you can look at it. But if I'm going to get better I have to maintain a positive attitude.

HANNITY: No, I agree with that.

ABRAHAM: I cannot look into the future, as I said before, and say, This is going to happen to me and I'm so scared. I can't wake up every morning and say, Oh, my gosh, I'm going to die. You know, I wake up every morning and I say, I'm going to live, and I strive to meet that goal.

So there's that possibility that somewhere along this line we made a wrong decision. But you know what? If I die, I'll die happy, and I will die healthy, and I will die in my home with my family, not in a hospital bed, bedridden and sick.
Mr. Cherrix also said on the program that the court date has been set for Wednesday, August 16th. That gives them a little over three weeks. Please keep the Cherrix family and their lawyers in your prayers as they prepare for the ongoing battle. Most importantly, pray for healing.
For full coverage of Abraham's story, click here.