reb•e•lu•tion (reb’el lu shen) n. a teenage rebellion against the low expectations of an ungodly culture.

2/24/2006

Tragedy: Mother Sues Over Unsuccessful Abortion

Source: BBC News: Scotland - Damages claim for abortion twin

Stacy Dow of Scotland was 16 when she discovered she was pregnant with twins and decided to have an abortion. Unbeknownst to her and to the doctors, one the twins survived the attempted murder and was born.

Now the child's mother is suing the hospital for $1.7 million in compensation, seeking damages for the "financial burden" of raising her now four-year-old daughter, Jayde.

"I have got a child now that I wasn't planning to have and I believe the hospital should take some responsibility for that," Dow said. "They should have known, or at least warned me, that I might still be pregnant when I left. It has totally changed my life and my parents' lives."

And the most heart-breaking quote of all: "I still don't know if, or what, I am going to tell Jayde when the time comes. Maybe when she is nine or ten I will sit her down and explain it to her."

How could a mother ever explain such a thing to her daughter?

Justin Taylor of Theologica said it best:

Try to imagine that conversation. Then weep at the depravity. Then realize that we would act in such a murderous, self-centered way but for the grace of God. May we cling to the cross, and cry out to God for both mercy and justice. Come quickly, Lord Jesus.
Pray for Jayde, that she might someday come to know the infinite love of her Heavenly Father; the love of Him through whom we cry, "Abba! Father!"