SAICFF: 10:45 A.M. - 10/29
Dr. R.C. Sproul, Jr., has blessed us with powerful insights. Here are some choice excerpts from my notes:
- If you were going to war, the one thing you'd like to trick your enemy into believing is that there is no war. And that is the one the devil seeks to convince Christians of.
- We tend to think that when we hold up the Bible the devil will run in fear. But that's a lie! He says, "Sure! Let's read the Bible and see what it really says." He's sitting next to us seeking to convince us, among others things, that there is no war.
- 2 Corinthians 10:4 says, "The weapons of our warfare are not carnal . . ." This means that there is a war! We're being more pious than God when we say, "We're Christians, we should build bridges, not walls."
- Just because it says our weapon are not carnal, doesn’t mean we’re not at war. It just means our weapons are not grenades and tanks! Carnal doesn’t just mean non-physical, it means not “evil.” Our weapons are not carnal, they are virtues themselves: Truth, Goodness, and Beauty.
- Weapon Number One - Truth: In the battle for Truth we are fighting with unarmed men. We need to buy into this in a big way! We need to buy into this in a big way, because we have bought into the mindset that Christians are dumber than your average bear! We just stand back. Be quiet. We're just simple Christians who aren't going to hurt anyone. This is why it is so shocking to the enemy when we don't act that way. The three words, "Are you sure?" is all you need to disarm those who say there is no objective truth.
- We must understand that only a very small portion of the Bible is pure instructional, textbook style teaching. The majority is stories, poems, and songs! And these stories are not about men who have never failed, but who believe in a big gospel.
- Weapon Number Two - Goodness: Goodness is terribly overlooked. We must understand that humans are influenced more by the inspiration of virtue than they are by the presentation of arguments. Goodness inspires virtue.
- The enemy propogates the lie that heroism is standing up for what you believe in. But Hitler did that. Stalin did that. Anyone can do that. Rather, heroism is standing up for goodness. A hero is someone who does good, even when it's hard.
- Weapon Number Three - Beauty: The sad truth is that while we've fought against relativism in the area of truth (Jesus says, "I am the way and the truth and the life) and in the area of goodness (God's Law governs morality), we've agreed with the world when it says, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
- But there are objective standards of beauty. Why is it that no one has pictures of car wrecks above their mantle? Why is it that no one buys CD of grating static to listen to while they work? There are standards, even though the world attempts to abolish them.
- Dr. Sproul, Jr., argued that these three virtues represent the Trinity, where Truth is represented in the Son, Goodness is represented in the Father, and Beauty is represented in the Spirit. And while the Trinity composes one God, perhaps Truth, Goodness, and Beauty are really one thing.
- The worst thing about Darwinism is that it has convinced us that Creation is a machine. It's a dance. It's a poem. It's a song. It's a harmonizing of complexity. It is beautiful. It is true. It is good.
- As filmmakers we must show this beauty, goodness, and truth. We must communicate, as much as we are able, the character of God Himself, through our filmmaking.